Monday 5 April 2010

Trip to Oulton Park

Was planning on getting on with the projects and assignments today, but instead we went to Oulton Park to watch Formula 3 and GT races. I'm not particularly interested in the cars themselves, but do like to take opportunities to take photos of new things when I can. Spent much of the day very cold but practising my panning techniques. We also took the opportunity to take the trip up the pit lane at lunchtime, which meant I got photos of several details.

Afterwards came home and started the winnowing process (which I had done a fair amount of trackside as well). Uploaded 705 photos and reviewed them initially for some level of sharpness. That cut the number down quite significantly (to 383). A second pass then cut that down further to 185 which I'm pretty pleased with. They should be able to be the basis of an AV at some stage.

Next steps will be to do some more reviewing to cut the numbers down further. I'm going to start with cropping (so not entirely irrelevant to the projects in the course), and I've already seen a number of photos where there are better pictures hidden inside the ones I've taken. Sometimes this is forced upon me by technology (a 300mm lens is good but not ideal for motorsport), sometimes by focussing (the car I was aiming at was not always the one that the AF decided I was looking at) and sometimes just because a review of the photo allows other pictures to be spotted.

I've certainly got a number of photos to go with a 'fast' picture for the contrasts part of the assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment